Yet another modified recipe from the March 2012 issue of Southern Living (I swear, I do read more magazines than this one!), this has quickly become a spring-time favorite. I modified it a bit to make it a quick, weekday supper for two.
- 2 yellow squash
- 1 pack of mini bell peppers in red, orange, & yellow
- olive oil
- 1 package of gnocchi (we like the Garlic & Basil Gnocchi from Rising Moon Organics; sold in Whole Foods’ freezer section)
- 2 T Basil Pesto
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Cut squash and bell peppers into bite-sized pieces. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper on a cast iron skillet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Wash the spinach leaves and arrange them on the bottom of a large pasta bowl.
- Cook gnocchi according to instructions. Basically, I bring the water to a boil, add the gnocchi, turn the heat down to medium-high, and stand over the pot with a slotted spoon. As soon as they float, they are ready to come out. I let them drain for a few seconds, then place them directly on the raw spinach to blanch it just a tad.
- Once all the gnocchi is out of the pot, your veggies are likely ready to come out of the oven. Empty the skillet, veggies and oil, into the pasta bowl. Toss. This will further cook the spinach just a bit.
- Add the basic pesto and parmesan cheese. Toss. Serve immediately.
(Top image, courtesy of MyRecipes.com. Bottom image, my own.)